Tuesday, August 29, 2006

There is so much out there to learn!

This post isn't about any specific task that was giving me problems and about how and what I did to work around the problem..

Instead this is just a very humble confession - there is so much, so much out there that I don't know about. So much happening on so many fronts, and I as a developer / engineer sitting in the front of a desktop machine in a company in Pune, India have not yet seen even the tip of the iceberg for that matter.

It is overwhelming at times to just log onto google and see the terabytes and gigabytes of data Google throws at you to read from. Over the last few days / months, I have been doing what every engineer's dream could perhaps be (especially when he is bogged down by deadlines and not finding any extra time for himself). I have been reading up stuff, checking out new technologies, searching extensively on the Net and reading new terms almost every day.

What I need to do in the coming few days - Look at SWT, Eclipse plug-in framework, Graphical Editor framework, Draw 2D (I know this isn't new, but GEF seems to be a very good piece of design work). If this isn't enough, I am now also hooked onto Web 2.0 (whatever that means!) - AJAX, Google Web Toolkit and everything that comes along with it, DOJO, Scriptaculous, AJAX Comet - phew!

One caveat is however to not get lost by this bombardment of information and be able to instead have a definite path carved for myself and my team.

No comments: